The saga of the Café de Paris Monte-Carlo
An ab-so-lute must! In Monaco, the Café de Paris Monte-Carlo is an essential port of call. Whether just passing through or meeting up with friends, everyone is welcome at the Café de Paris Monte-Carlo: tourists out for a good time, cruise passengers on a stopover, guests staying in palatial hotels, regular gamblers at the Casino de Monte-Carlo, passers-by trying their luck on the slot machines, foreigners from the far ends of the earth or Monaco residents just out of the office. At any hour of the day or night, for coffee, a meal or afternoon tea, everyone converges on this extraordinary venue.
It was in 1868, that a small café called the Café Divan opened on the Place du Casino, then bordered by the Casino and the Hôtel de Paris Monte-Carlo. Renamed the Café de Paris Monte-Carlo a few years later, it was rebuilt and extended to offer, as the sign says, a tea room, bar and grill, where tourists could come to relish sorbets or ice-creams, sip coffee, dine or even play billiards.
In the early 20th century, the Café de Paris Monte-Carlo was again extended and turrets were added. In the 1920s, the façade was redone in a more sober and modern style.
In the 1960s, the Café Monte-Carlo adopted the style of an American drugstore and even offered a bowling alley.
It was in 1988 that the Café de Paris Monte-Carlo was almost entirely rebuilt to take the form as we know it today.
A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since the modest little Café Divan opened its doors back in 1868. Yet the Café de Paris Monte-Carlo has always remained true to its original vocation, that of a lively place open to all, at any time of the day or night.