Important dates in the history of Thermes Marins
The history of Thermes Marins Monte-Carlo is filled with innovation, wellness, space and freedom. Let’s take a look back at key dates between 1860 and 2014 that built the reputation of the more than century-old institution.
- July 1860: The Etablissement des Bains opened for business by the port of Monaco. The first baths were built in the area known as La Condamine. The facility was built on the on the sand at the water’s edge and remained open all year round, with winter as its peak season.
- 1863: François Blanc created the Société des Bains de Mer and decided to prioritise improvements on the existing facility: more space, a more medical approach, cutting-edge treatments in hydrotherapy and a more hotel-like welcome. This was the beginning of the Hôtel des Bains, a place where technical equipment and healing techniques were constantly renewed.
- 1895: This marked the beginning of Thermes Valentia, with new buildings, new facilities and a new name for the Etablissement des Bains in La Condamine. Inauguration of Thermes Valentia. Holidaymakers gradually stopped coming and turned to other beach recreation activities. Consequently Thermes became specialised in using hydrology, hydrotherapy and electrotherapy to treat diseases. The establishment was completely redesigned and reorganised as a treatment centre. Thermes Valentia had the most complete and modern equipment at its disposal of its time. Thermes Valentia closed in 1904 to make room for construction around the port.
- 16 July 1904: The Bains du Larvotto opened. Customers of the Hôtel de Paris went to work on the tramway.
- 3 March 1908: The new spa was inaugurated on the Casino Terraces, where it is still located today (Architect: Mr Alex Tessier. Prince Albert I inaugurated the new Thermes de Monte-Carlo a few metres from the Hôtel de Paris. Twenty years later, wide-scale renovations were carried out, transforming the centre into a sophisticated technology hub offering the most innovative treatments and therapies.
- 1971: Thermes was rebuilt in the same location on the Casino Terraces. Offices were built.
- April 1995. The new spa, Thermes Marins Monte-Carlo, was established. The renovations lasted 2 years. Over 40 years after being destroyed, Thermes Marins Monte-Carlo was open for business once again, consisting of a vast space measuring 6,600 m² spread out over 4 floors and dedicated to a place of harmony, enjoyment, health and wellness.
- 1 March 2014: A true pioneer in the world of luxury tourism with a mission to renew and rebuild, Monte-Carlo Société des Bains de Mer initiated a phase of large-scale projects, starting with Thermes Marins Monte-Carlo.
- 17 May 2014: Thermes Marins Monte-Carlo remained partly open while their prestigious clientele was invited to attend a classical music concert with the great Maltese pianist Stefan Cassar, in the pool undergoing renovations.
- 11 July 2014: A training and skills development phase in hospitality and attitude is initiated for Thermes Marins Monte-Carlo staff.
- 8 November 2014: The new Thermes Marins Monte-Carlo, renovated to offer its clientele more space, modernity, technology and tranquillity, will be inaugurated. Floors -2 and -3 will be entirely redesigned (new reception, new changing rooms, new SPA treatment rooms).